Dollar time!

0

Thursday, June 6 by



Though traditional, and preferred by many, origami creations are not always folded from a square piece of paper. Often they are made from a rectangle with a specific ratio or a different geometric shape altogether. One such rectangle that has been worked with a lot in origami is the dollar bill! Currency folding has become a very fun facet of origami. Dollar bills are fairly common and many playful folds, based off the currency's artwork, have been developed. I myself was not much of a fan for awhile, not wanting to destroy any money that I might have had hanging around as a young adult. However, after a gift from a friend one Christmas, I decided to give it a try.


This book by Won Park also came with some (lots!) of practice currency which makes the folding process a lot easier.

My first attempt was with the penguin. Here is a halfway folded view...


...and the final product.


Next up is a bit more challenging model. The camera model folds up into a box like a rectangular masu box, but has a few tweaks on the outside to make it look like a camera. One large tweak where the extra length of a dollar bill comes in handy is the lens. The circular shape comes from tucking two flaps into one another and then rounding out the connecting without the flaps coming undone (that's the tricky part!).



As the diagrams demand a bit more precision and sharply creased folds I wasn't sure how well I would be able to recreate the model, but I was pleasantly surprised with the end result.



I was fairly impressed with the detail of this model, while retaining a very fresh simplicity. It has two buttons and a flash that add just the right amount of character.

Even though the practice currency isn't a perfect replica in terms of size ratio (which is very difficult to achieve I have found), the crispness and convenience well outweigh that flaw.

So if you're looking for a new direction in origami, or a fun distraction, I highly suggest dollar bill origami. There are many simple, as well as complex, folds available with a cursory search online, or wherever you finds your diagrams. Have fun!



Leave a Reply

contact me

I'd love to hear from you! email: origamigal22@gmail.com


Powered by Blogger.